If you are an ardent Apple Computer system user, then you might have heard about DMG files and the installation possibilities it holds onto in the first place. Alternatively, if you are using a Windows 7 operating system installed computer, and found a DMG type of file present within the Windows system, then you can still open DMG file to check what it holds onto. Before starting with the actual process to open and view the DMG file in Windows 7 installed computer, you need to understand about the DMG file type. The DMG files are disk image files that can be used to install software programs to Mac OS X running iMac or MacBook. The DMG files have the exact options an ISO file does in Windows.
If you’d like to extract the files from the DMG so they’re easier to work with, right-click the DMG file, point to the “7-Zip” menu, and then choose one of the extraction options. Specs: Windows 7, 4 2GHz / 4 gigs. Is it possible to convert.dmg to.exe cuz i need it to run a program on windows7 See More: converting MAC dmg file to Windows 7 executable?
How to open DMG files on Windows?
Mar 13, 2018 Step 1. First of all, download the DMG extractor program file from the internet and install it in your personal Windows PC. Run the application with admin rights and in the main UI of the tool's screen, click on 'open' button in the upper menu bar to browse the required DMG file. Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.
The DMG file has every other type of installation file that is needed to install a software program into Mac OS running computers. As you are at the moment using a Windows 7 running PC, you cannot make use of the DMG file to install the software it holds onto; instead, you can glance through its contents in three different ways. The following are the three different ways to open DMG files and view its content in Windows 7, 8 and 10 running computer systems.
7-ZIP DMG file opener for Windows 7 users
7-ZIP is a freeware type of software that can be downloaded for free using an internet-connected Windows 7 running computer system. 7-ZIP, being a popular extractor type of software is widely used to extract compressed files like CAB, ZIP, RAR, ISO, and WIM. This particular software helps in extracting the DMG file content to a particular file folder.
- Download 7-ZIP software installation file from a reliable source to your computer.
- Install it by following the instructions that are listed on the installation windows.
- Once the installation process has completed, you need to navigate through the drive and file folder that has the DMG file saved in it.
- Make a right-click upon the DMG file that has been saved as file extension DMG in windows 7 running PC or laptop and then navigate through the 7-Zip context menu to load a sub-menu.
- In the sub-menu, you can either select ‘Extract files’, ‘Extract Here’ or ‘Extract to’ based upon your extraction preferences.
- By selecting ‘Extract Here’, the files present in the DMG file shall get extracted in the exact folder location from which it has been loaded in the first place.
- By selecting ‘Extract To’ option, you can choose the folder to save the contents from the DMG file, either to the local drive or to a connected pen drive.
The extraction speed and time highly depends upon the overall file size of the DMG file and the existing RAM speed of your PC as well. Once the extraction process gets finished, you can now open the DMG files content without looking for a MacBook or iMac to access the same. However, if you need quick software to open the DLL file then you can use the visual studio tool in windows while you can open the JSON file in windows using notepad, Wordpad, word, etc.
As this particular software program is a freeware, you can only view DMG files that are less than 4GB in terms of size. Also, you can select and extract only 5 DMG files in one-click.
Opening DMG files using DMG Extractor
DMG Extractor is a popular extractor tool that can help in opening and reading through .dmg files an easy process. The entire interface of this particular extractor tool is user-friendly, which makes it possible to swiftly open DMG files in Windows 7 operating system installed computer. Follow the below-mentioned stepwise guide as it is to open dmg file in Windows 7 system.
- Download DMG extractor software installation program file from a reliable online source
- Make use of your internet, search for the DMG extractor version that can run smoothly on your Windows system by reading through the ‘System Requirements’ section
- Once you have found the exact source, download the installation file and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the program at ease
- Locate the shortcut of DMG Extractor application from the Desktop and run it with administration rights
- This can be done by right-clicking on the application and selecting ‘Run as Administrator’ from the loaded context menu
- Once the main screen of the application gets loaded up, navigate to the ‘Open’ button that can be found on the top menu bar to open DMG file in one-click.
- Now, you need to browse through the drive that has the DMG file in it and Open it as well
Once the DMG file has been loaded, the installation files and other contents present it shall get displayed within the DMG Extractor window.
Extracting the DMG file contents using DMG Extractor:
How To Run Dmg File On Windows 10
Once you have followed the steps to open DMG file as mentioned above, you can see the files listed one after another within the DMG Extractor window, Now, click upon the ‘Extractor’ button from the menu bar and then select ‘All files to’ to extract every other installation and other files types the DMG file holds onto.
As a free user, you can only view and extract DMG files that are lesser than 4GB in size. Become a premium user to open DMG file in any numbers; extract them all in one-click with no issues happening in the terms of file size.
Open and view DMG files using Power ISO:
Power ISO is a powerful software tool that is commonly used to extract, burn, edit, convert or create disk image files for Windows installed computer systems. The main advantage of this particular software burning tool is that it can process any type of image files, namely, DMG, BIN, DAA, and ISO. You need to burn the DMG image file to an empty CD or DVD to open the DMG files and then go through the files present in it. Follow the steps as mentioned below to access file extension dmg in windows 7 and later released operating system versions.
- Download and install Power ISO image burning software from a trustworthy reliable source
- Make it a point to read through the ‘System Requirements’ section and download the exact version that can run smoothly on your Windows 7 installed system
- Once you have download and installed Power ISO software, open it up and insert an empty CD or DVD into the disk drive that has reading and writing capacities available in-default
- Click upon the ‘Burn’ option from the icon menu bar.
- Now, select the ‘Browse’ button to load up the DMG files into the Power ISO window.
- Select the required burning speed and then ensure the drive has an empty CD or DVD that has the much-needed space to safely burn and write the DMG files in it
- After ensuring this, click upon the ‘Burn’ button
Once the DMG file has been burnt to the empty disk, you need to remove it from the CD drive and reinsert it. Now, you can open DMG files and get to know the type of files and software program that it entails to.
- Products ▼
- For Windows
- Android Manager for Win
- Android Data Recovery
- Phone Transfer for Win
- Android Root Pro
- For Mac
- Android Manager for Mac
- Android Data Recovery Mac
- Phone Transfer for Mac
- More >>>
DMG file is a compressed file format being used widely on Mac computer. Windows OS doesn't natively support DMG disk image files, so if you need to create a bootable USB drive from a DMG file, mostly for bootable Mac OS X or macOS installation USB, you need a special utility to help you complete the task.
There is also the possibility of converting the file into a format more suitable for Windows, which is the ISO file format for disk images. Considering the above, let's look at different ways to create a bootable drive from a DMG file on a Windows computer.
Part 1: Convert DMG to ISO and Make Bootable USB from ISO
Since Windows doesn't offer native support for DMG files, you can first convert the file to ISO. Why? A lot of easier to find an app for making a bootable USB from ISO file. The easy way to do this is to use Command Prompt. Don't be intimidated by the non-GUI environment even if you don't have any experience. If you follow the steps below, you can convert any DMG file to ISO and then create a bootable USB using the converted file.
Step 1: Open Command Prompt by typing cmd in the Run windows and hitting Enter.
Step 2: In the command interface, go to the directory in which the DMG file is saved. You can do this by using the 'cd' command followed by the file path, then pressing Enter. For example, if your disk image is in D: and Command Prompt is currently in 'C:', then type 'd:' (no quotes) and press Enter. If it is in a subfolder, type 'cd subfolder', and so on.
Step 3: Use the following command to convert the DMG file to ISO:
hdiutil convert /path/sourceimagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/targetmage.iso
Step 4: Once the ISO file has been created, you can use a burning tool to create the bootable USB drive. To do that, continue with this guide.
- File damged or broken after conversion.
- Failed booting from burned USB disk.
- May not work with the latest DMG file.
- Complex and take more time.
Part 2: Create Mac OS X Bootable USB Installer from DMG
Androidphonesoft DMG Editor is a powerful software application for Windows that will allow you to manage the non-native DMG format even if you have no experience. The interface is uncluttered, and you can even use the tool to view files, extract them, edit the DMG and even copy it to a disk. The burn function has one of the highest success rates in the industry, which makes this an ideal utility for our purpose.
Created by the talented team of developers at Androidphonesoft, DMG Editor is currently the most intuitive Windows app for handling Apple's disk image format. Each of its functions have been tested on various Windows versions, with different types of DMG files and on different PC brands. This thorough testing means no wasted DVDs or corrupted files. As long as your DMG file is in good shape, you can directly create a bootable disk.
Step 1 Install DMG Editor
Download and install DMG Editor on your Windows PC.
Step 2 Plug in USB Drive
Launch the application and click on the 'Burn' section. You will also see other modules such as Edit, Extract.
Step 3 Load DMG File
Now import the DMG file by clicking the 'Browse' button and choose the USB drive name.
Step 4 Start Burning DMG to USB Drive
Click 'Burn' button at the bottom of window to start burning DMG file to USB drive. Once it get started, it displays a progress bar and you have to wait for the task to be finished. Usually, it takes 20 minutes depending on how large the file is.
In a few moments, your bootable USB flash drive will be ready for use. Since you haven't done any conversion, you can use this directly on a Mac for program installation, which you cannot do with the first method.
Part 3: Create Bootable USB from DMG in Windows Via PowerISO
Another well-known disk image utility is PowerISO. Apart from being ideal for burning ISO files, it can also burn a DMG file to USB to create a bootable drive. There are some settings that you have to keep in mind when burning with this software, but it's easy to get the hang of it once you do it a couple of times.
Step 1: Download PowerISO and install it in your Windows PC. Launch the app and insert a USB drive into a free USB slot in your computer.
Step 2: You can import the DMG file directly by clicking on ‘Burn' in the toolbar or going to Tools >Burn. In the Burn window, select the DMG file from the Source File section.
Step 3:Now review the settings to select the burn speed. The default will be the maximum your hardware can handle, so you can reduce that. You can also choose to finalize the disk and verify it. Finalizing means you can't save any more files on the drive, but it primarily applies to DVDs and CDs. Choosing ‘Verify' will prompt the software to execute an additional process after the burning is done. Any errors in the bootable USB will show up at that point.
Step 4: Now click on 'Burn' and wait for the progress bar to reach 100%. Your bootable USB is now ready.
- Expensive for a single license.
- Higher failure rate for bootable device.
- Ugly user interface.
The Bottom Line:
The second two methods are recommended if you don't have much experience working with DMG files, but DMG Editor will appeal to novices and experts alike. The clean interface and minimal user input means a lower chance of errors while creating the bootable media.
- Windows 10 Password Crack Remove Windows Admin Password Change Windows Password Bootable Windows USB ISO to USB Tool Create Windows Reset Disk Burn ISO to CD Create Windows Reset Disk More>>>